June 25, 2008

The Mysterious Stranger - A Banned TV Cartoon



This aesthetically beautiful but dark cartoon is from The Adventures of Mark Twain." This one is based on an unfinished work by Twain, called "The Mysterious Stranger". Reportedly, this cartoon got banned from TV as it is pretty intense and it is definitely not for children.

I personally see allegorical references to the Bible. Specifically to Genesis and the old testament.

Mark Twain, whose likeness we see in this cartoon, wrote in his "The Mysterious Stranger": "It is true, that which I have revealed to you; there is no God, no universe, no human race, no earthly life, no heaven, no hell. It is all a dream - a grotesque and foolish dream. Nothing exists but you. And you are but a thought - a vagrant thought, a useless thought, a homeless thought, wandering forlorn among the empty eternities."

5 comments:

  1. When has this ever been banned from TV? When it was shown on Disney the removed the Mysterious Stranger scene but nothing like what you claim..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nightmare I don't really know but I, like you, would like to find out cause I like Twain. I have not read this book though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw ths when I was a kid - I thought it was awesome

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is creepy (scared)

    ReplyDelete